A few years ago while teaching Retailing, I had a sudden inspiration for an assignment. I had each student select one of his/her favorite retailers and create a collage about his/her experiences over time. This assignment could be adapted for a digital marketing class, a principles of marketing class, etc.
2) Take an 8 x 11 inch piece of card stock and paste the retailer logo in the middle
3) Find 6-8 images (personal photos, digital images,etc.) that represent your
a) memories with the retailer
b) attitudes toward the retailer
c) anything else that you think applies to your relationship with the retailer
4) Number each image and then on a separate sheet of paper, provide 2-3 sentences explaining what this represents
5) Bring the collage to class and be prepared to present to the class your collage
Some of the most popular retailers have been:
1) Drivers of Retailer Loyalty
2) The importance of the service scape
4) The retail experience
5) Loyalty to store brands
The class discussion for this assignment as always been one of the most interesting of the semester. When one student would present, others would get excited when it was a retailer that they liked as well. Students would share memories and discuss likes and dislikes of the retail experience.
Please feel free to use the assignment in your own class if you are looking for a fun and engaging assignment. This can be easily altered to fit other topics.